For a description of the ways in which the department assists graduate students seeking academic employment, see the final appendix, “Placement,” in the Philosophy Graduate Program Requirements handbook.
Listed below are recent initial tenure-track jobs (or, at institutions that do not have tenure, academic jobs with no fixed term) and some non-academic jobs obtained by our recent Ph.D.s. The years listed are those in which the jobs were obtained, which are not always the same as those of graduation. In a few cases updates are added to the listings, but this is unsystematic, with no pretense of completeness.
- Jonathon Hricko, Education Center for Humanities and Social Sciences, National Yang-Ming University, Taiwan
- Nicholas Tebben, Towson University
- Lisa Ievers, Mathematics Teacher, Morristown-Beard School, Morristown, NJ
- Adam Reid, Policy analyst, Canadian Coast Guard/Fisheries & Oceans Canada
- Marianna Bergamaschi Ganapini, Union College
- John Waterman, University of New England
- John Brandau, Assistant to the Dean, School of Computer, Mathematical & Natural Sciences, Morgan State University
- Jady Hsin, Honors Attorney, US Dept. of Labor
- Josef Simpson, Academic Advising, Catholic University of America
- Cherie McGill, Assistant Professor of the Practice and DUS, Boston College
- Jeffrey Maynes, St. Lawrence University
- Michael Hicks, Miami University (Ohio)
- Bryan Miller, National Academies of Science: Institute of Medicine (now Research Consultant, The Advisory Board, Washington, DC)
- Lt.-Gen. Jim Dubik, Professor in the Practice, Georgetown University School of Foreign Service; also holds numerous military consulting positions
- Matthew Holtzman, St. John’s College, Annapolis
- Ru-Yu (Karen) Yan, National Yang-Ming University, Taiwan
- Aaron Smith, Ayn Rand Institute
Current full-time temporary or other non-tenure-track academic positions
The following department Ph.D.s currently hold full-time temporary or other non-tenure-track academic positions (at institutions that have tenure):
- Anton Kabeshkin, Potsdam University, Germany – wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter, 3-year position
- Arash Abazari, Institute for Research in Fundamental Science (Tehran) – 3-year research position
In addition to those listed above, fourteen people completed the PhD in the department after 2000. Of these, three hold adjunct academic positions and are seeking full-time permanent academic employment. One went to law school.