While an undergraduate major in philosophy is good preparation for graduate study in the department, applications are welcomed from students with other majors whose interests are now turning toward philosophy.
To apply, please read the information below and on the Graduate Admissions website, and complete the application online.
If applying to more than one department, please send complete application materials for each department. All application documents must be provided in English (either the original or translations of the original documents). If you are unable to secure translations to English, we recommend that you contact World Education Services.
All application materials and supporting documents should be uploaded through the online application; these include:
- Online application
- Application fee
- Statement of Purpose (briefly state your area of interest at the beginning of your Statement of Purpose; upload through the online application)
- Letters of recommendation (at least two): Letters of recommendation should be submitted and uploaded electronically following the instructions in the online application.
- Transcripts: Unofficial transcripts must be uploaded through the online application. Applications will be ready for review with unofficial transcripts, but official transcripts will be required if an offer of admission is made
- GRE scores (mandatory)
- TOEFL or IELTS score (for international applicants)
- Sample of work (the sample should reflect the applicant’s area of interest, and generally does not have to be more than 20 pages in length).
The deadline for applications is January 15 or, if January 15 falls on a weekend or a holiday, the next business day. Admissions decisions will be made by around March 15.
For questions or inquiries about the online application and supporting documents, contact the Graduate Admissions office using the online contact form. You may also contact Veronica Feldkircher-Reed, the academic program coordinator for the philosophy department, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-516-7524.